Search
Close this search box.

Our History

Inverleith St Serf’s was formed in 2011 by the union of Inverleith Church and St Serf’s Church.  The new congregation decided to use the current Inverleith St Serf’s site and in 2016 opened a modern Church Centre.

The former Inverleith Church was originally St James’s Free Church, opened in 1881, although a congregation had worshipped in an Iron Church since 1874.  It changed its name in 1900 to St James’s Free Church to reflect the national union of the Free Church and the United Presbyterian Church. Then came a further change in 1929 when the UF church and Church of Scotland merged. The congregation then became known as Inverleith Church of Scotland.

The former St Serf’s congregation was founded in 1899 as a missionary church of St Cuthbert’s Church of Scotland in the West End of the city.  The congregation became independent of St Cuthbert’s in 1912. This congregation, too, worshipped in an Iron Church  (until 1903).  This Iron Church was still in use as a hall until 1960.

Our red sandstone sanctuary has a wonderful rood screen, pulpit and communion table gifted by the Currie family (of shipping fame).  The former Inverleith communion table, which serves also as a war memorial, sits in the south transept.  

(There are  books and photobooks  which give more detailed information about the history of the congregations and buildings).